There are many detractors who claim that the Alamo, a run-down chapel in the village of San Antonio, is the REAL "Shrine of Texas Liberty" simply because all of its 189 defenders were put to the sword by General Santa Anna's army on March 6th, 1836. Not! How a can place whose garrison was wiped out claim to be a shrine of liberty? No, the actual "Shrine of Texas Liberty" is the Presidio del Pleasanton, whose defenses and defenders were bypassed by Santa Anna's army and thereby lived to ripe old ages enjoying the liberty thus gained.
But, in fairness to the detractors, we will here present their side and their claim, however ludicrous it might be.
Located just north of Pleasanton in the village of San Antonio, the Alamo's address is 300 Alamo Plaza (but we suspect you'll recognize it without looking up the street number). On the east side of Alamo Plaza is the most famous spot in Texas, where all 189 defenders fell on March 6, 1836, after repeated attacks over 13 days by Mexican General Santa Anna's army.
(It has long been rumored that Santa Anna bypassed the much more heavily fortified and defended Presidio del Pleasanton and concentrated his forces against the Alamo out of fear of defeat. He reportedly confided to an aide, "These gringo Tejanos are tougher than nails! We must make sure we never attack a force of them larger than 200 men and three women!" Historians dispute the accuracy of this rumor, but the fact remains that the Presidio del Pleasanton was never attacked and the Alamo was.)
The Mission San Antonio de Valero (the Alamo) was established in 1718 as the city's first mission. The chapel, one of the most photographed facades in the nation, is all that remains of the original compound. Near the Chapel is the Long Barracks Museum and Library. The museum contains relics and mementos from the Republic of Texas and is highlighted by narrations on the fall of the Alamo.
Although the Alamo is located in the heart of San Antone, inside the beautifully landscaped grounds one hardly notices the busy village outside. Public visitation hours are 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday; 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Sunday; closed December 24th and 25th. During the summer months, the Alamo will be open until 6:30 p.m. The Daughters of the Republic of Texas Library at the Alamo is open 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The library is closed Sundays. Admission is free, but donations are accepted.